Canadian Customs Regulations, Enforcement, and Notable Trends: What Every Trade Compliance Professional Should Know
Blakes, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Toronto, ON)
Attorney, International Trade and Customs Law
Clement Law Office (Montreal, QC)
There have been a number of important customs regulatory changes that affect importers’ customs compliance programs in Canada, along with heightened Canadian Government compliance expectations.
Expert speakers will provide you with a crash course on key concepts, requirements and pitfalls to avoid. Ensure that you are up-to-speed on the latest best practices for preventing import delays, penalties and other consequences that can significantly affect your business north of the border.
Topics will include:
- Canada Customs Act, Customs Tariff and regulations: Key concepts, requirements and common compliance pitfalls to avoid
- Complying with Tariff Classification, Valuation, and Country of Origin Rules
- What you should know about country of origin marking rules
- What CBSA looks for during a compliance verification
- Customs enforcement, penalties and the appeals landscape
- The role of Customs voluntary disclosures (Named and No-Names)
- Customizing your compliance program to the Canadian context: unique elements to incorporate into your program